≡ Top Menu ≡Categories Menu

You are here: Home » How I Resolved My Case of Onycholysis

For those of you unfamiliar with the condition, onycholysis is a separating of the nail from the nail bed. I noticed it first on the pinky nail of my right hand. I then started noticing it on several other fingers on my right hand.

Over time it spread to my left hand. It was rather unsightly and uncomfortable at times. Sometimes it hurt just a little but most times it was a weird feeling at the tips of my fingers. In addition to the weird feeling, my nails were just plain unsightly.

When I looked at my hands I often wondered, “Who did a switch-a-roo on my fingernails?” I couldn’t believe these hands and nails belonged to me!

Researching the Problem

I went online to find out what would cause this and how to resolve it. I’ve read that it could be caused by any of the following:

Nail affected with Onycholysis

Photo courtesy of Australian College of Dermatologists

• a fungus
  • liver condition
  • thyroid disease
  • pregnancy
  • infection
  • not having enough oxygen in the blood
  • psoriasis

Treating the condition meant keeping the nails very short, which in my case meant my nails were clipped halfway down the nail bed. Keeping them dry (wear gloves when doing the dishes, etc) and keeping them clean. The next step would be to seek medical attention whereby the doctor could prescribe anti-fungal medication if required.

I also read that once the nail has detached from the nail bed it will not reattach (bummer). Needless to say, I wasn’t thrilled with the information I found.

Treating Onycholysis Naturally

Not having most of the conditions that might cause onycholysis, I settled for either a bacterial or fungal infection as the cause. I deduced that I needed both an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial substance to kill both potential culprits. I settled on tea tree oil.

I filled ¾ of a 1-pint mason jar with water. To that water, I added several drops of tea tree oil. The container was just large enough for me to dunk the tips of all 5 fingers in the solution.

For those of you not familiar with tea tree oil, it smells like burnt tires. To cut back on the burnt tire smell, I added several drops of lavender. Both oils are anti-bacterial and anti-fungal (plus they have a bunch of other positive attributes).

Twice a day I would dip my fingers into the mixture. Some days I would forget, but most days I applied the mixture. I kept a weekly log of my treatment. Here’s my onycholysis log:

5/26/13: Start twice a day to see if it works. Initially put the oil on directly. Next I’ll soak in mixture with water.

6/2/13: Haven’t been diligent in soaking my nails. It’s hit or miss. Since I was working on the pool and gardening, I sporadically soaked my fingers. I’ve got to be more diligent. They still look horrible.

6/9/13: Still not diligent with soaking my fingers, but I think I see some sort of improvement. At least it seems to have stopped getting worse.

Today is 6/14/13 and I can honestly say I see marked improvements. There are signs of nail reattachment. The worst offender, my pinky, is starting to look normal again. I’ll continue to monitor my progress weekly, but wanted to share my early positive results.

Update: 8/2/13:  My nails have returned to normal.  The nail has reattached to the nail bed and I’m no longer ashamed of my hands.  As a matter of fact, I believe the regular application of the tea tree oil has done wonders for hangnails.  My hangnails have disappeared too.

Check out how I used Frankincense essential oil to cure my bout with pink eye.

About the author: Felicia has learned the hard way that health, whether good or bad, is a result of daily choices and habits. On this blog Felicia shares what she’s learned and the healthier choices she now makes as a result of her new knowledge. She hopes to encourage others to experiment to find alternative solutions to nagging problems (she’s also is a bit of a tree hugger and likes to share ways to lighten the toxic burden on the environment).

in Essential Oils, Onycholysis, Tea Tree
{ 153 comments… add one }
  • Lisa February 13, 2020, 11:25 am

It’s still pretty stinky even in the solar oil, but it’s more bearable. I wanted to avoid using water at first because I read that water can seep under your nails and make onycholysis worse, but at this point I’m pretty desperate. It’s also possible I haven’t been using the mixture with the tea tree oil for long enough. It’s barely been two months, and the whiteness covers practically my entire nail.

• Felicia February 13, 2020, 11:48 am

The reason I put the tea tree oil in water was so it would seep under my nail to get to the source of the problem. Maybe the oil your using isn’t getting to where it needs to go.

• Lisa February 11, 2020, 8:36 pm

Hi Felicia,

I found this post several months ago while trying to figure out how to get rid of my onycholysis, but I haven’t had as much success as the other people who commented here. I’ve been dealing with this in my left pinky and ring fingernails for over six months now. At first, I thought it would grow back on its own.

When that didn’t happen, I ordered CND Solar Oil, which I learned about from some other forum I found in my research. The oil looks like a regular nail polish bottle, and I brushed it on the inside and outside of the two nails for roughly four months or so.

When that didn’t work, I used some of my holiday money to order tea tree oil per your suggestion. Instead of swirling it in water, though, I used the eye dropper to mix it with the solar oil and continued painting it on twice a day for the last two months. I’m still not noticing any improvement. 🙁 Do you think it makes a difference to mix it in water and dip your fingers in like you did instead of brushing it all over and dripping some of it inside the nails like I am? I just can’t figure it out.

I know some people would tell me to see a doctor about this, but honestly, I don’t see a point because I know it isn’t infected. I found some really ugly photos of onycholysis online where the nails turned green or started crumbling, and mine look nothing like that. They’re thick, supple, and healthy. They’re just white about two thirds of the way down, and I can see there’s a separation if I look at them from the proper angle.

Some people on here have mentioned wearing nail polish or tips, and I use nail wraps from http://www.espionagecosmetics.com to cover the ugly whiteness. I’ve been wearing them the entire time I’ve had onycholysis. I don’t know if something in the adhesive is causing it, but I seriously doubt it because they’re basically just stickers that go over my nails. I love them so much, and I really don’t want to stop wearing them.

I’ve been photographing my nails every month since September, and sometimes it looks like the white part is shrinking, but I always see a darker reddish part under it where the normal pink color of my nail is supposed to be that later turns white again, so I’m trapped in a never-ending cycle of the same parts of both nails repeated separating. I tried making them shorter and using my fingertips to type with this fingers instead of the nails (which is what I used to do before I started noticing this problem), but it’s already been over six months and even that isn’t helping!

Gah! This is just so frustrating!

• Felicia February 12, 2020, 7:24 am

Lisa,

I’m sorry to hear about your onycholysis journey. In reading your comment I see you did quite a bit to correct the condition. Have you tried using the tea tree oil in the same manner in which I did? Did you try soaking your fingers in tea tree oil without using CND Solar Oil?

I can’t say for sure it will work for you, but I’ve found from years of experience, sometimes the simplest remedy is what it takes. You’ve been going through this for several months. Why not try a few weeks of plain tea tree oil in water as mentioned in my post to see if you notice an improvement. At this point, you don’t have anything to lose.

• Lisa February 13, 2020, 10:21 am

Hi Felicia,

I haven’t tried that yet but I’d be willing to give it a shot. I thought mixing it with the Solar Oil would help because that stuff is also recommended for nails, and it contains jojoba oil, which I read was a good thinner for tea tree oil. I tried using the tea tree oil by itself for a few days, but I just couldn’t get past the awful smell and had to mix it with something!

• Felicia February 13, 2020, 10:37 am

I hear ya. Tea tree oil isn’t the most pleasant smell in my opinion. However, when I used it for my nails, I put it in a very small mason jar of about 4 oz. I filled it with water and placed only a few drops of tea tree oil in it. When it wasn’t in use, I covered it. You only need a few seconds of exposure each time.

I would dip my fingers in, wiggle them a bit, take them out and cover the jar. You could either let your fingers air dry or wipe them dry. Afterward, if the smell is too much for you, use one of your favorite lotions on your hands to mask the smell. My goal was to get results so I was able to endure the smell for the small amount of time I was exposed to it.