I felt it necessary to interrupt my series on small steps towards health to advise anyone and everyone 50 years of age and older who has never had a colonoscopy to schedule one now (think of this post as a news bulletin).
If you have not had a colonoscopy and the following describes your lifestyle and habits, stop reading this post and call your doctor immediately to make arrangements for a colonoscopy.
If you are:
- Couch potato (exercise consists of changing the TV channel using the remote control)
- Consume large amounts of meat, including processed meats (such as sausages, hot dogs, corn dogs, etc.)
- Diet is all but deficient in fresh fruits and vegetables
- Eat a high-fat diet
- Have been diagnosed with anemia
- Notice a change in your bowel movements especially if you notice signs of blood
- Family history of colon cancer
Dr. Hand Up Me and the Colonoscopy is Your Friend
The worst part about the colonoscopy is the prior preparation. You have to make sure that everything is all cleared out in order for the doctor to look into your colon. For some folks, this is probably the only time they get to have full healthy bowel movements.
Once you do your part, the rest is up to the doctor.
Putting My Money Where My Mouth…er…Rump Is
In the very near future, I’ll discuss a little more about colonoscopies and the dangers of not getting them. I’ll give you more first hand experience after I get mine in a couple of weeks. I’m not looking forward to it, but a gal’s gotta do what a gal’s gotta do. BTW, Dr. Hand Up Me is the way we lovingly refer to our colonoscoper (I don’t think colonoscoper is a word, but you get my drift).
Now, back to small steps towards getting healthy.