In today’s day and age with prices rising with no end in sight, people may accidentally start eating healthier. It’s cheaper and healthier to cook from scratch. Every cloud has a silver lining and maybe a healthier society is the silver lining on this cloud of increased cost of living.
Although it is not absolutely necessary to buy all of the latest gadgets to make cooking from scratch easier, there are a couple of gadgets that I’ve found useful over the years. These gadgets have helped me to save money, cook healthier and preserve and store the excess food for a later day. Here’s my current list:
- The Magic Bullet: The Magic Bullet is what I use pretty much every day. It’s great for making a quick batch of peanut butter, small batch of pancake batter, a strawberry and more.
- Food Processor: For the heavy-duty large quantities (too large for the Bullet) I use a food processor. When I need to make large portions of vegetarian burger, homemade chicken nuggets, or if I have to shred cabbage for cold slaw I use a food processor.
- Crockpot: Slow cookers allow busy people to cook meals while they’re not home. Just add the ingredients and turn it on. It’s also a great way to cook a second meal while you’re cooking the first meal. The slow cook method makes even the lesser expensive cuts of meat taste great.
- Vacuum seal: A vacuum seal reduces waste. It preserves food by sucking the air out and creating an airtight package that can be frozen. Additionally, vacuum sealing leftovers in the airtight canisters adds new shelf life to last night’s meal. The vacuum seal also helps to season meats much quicker than the traditional season and wait a day method. The vacuum sealer cuts the seasoning time down to an hour or two.
- Dehydrator: although I don’t use this as much, it is a great gadget to have for making homemade fruit snacks or for drying fruit just before they go bad. You can also make jerky, whether it be chicken or beef. Personally, I’m not a jerky fan, but if you can make your own, why not give it a try?
- Juicer: Nothing tastes better than fresh made juice from organic fruits and vegetables. The juice is a healthy and delicious and it’s a great way to sneak some vegetables into your children without them ever knowing it.
- Blender: Blenders can take the place of a Magic Bullet and food processor (for some tasks). They’re good to have around.
The above gadgets are not necessary for better eating, but they sure make life easier. If I had to choose one or two gadgets that I could not live without, it would be the Magic Bullet and the crockpot.