Here’s an inexpensive tasty healthy sandwich that can serve as an alternative to the usual ham and cheese sandwich. Be forewarned, I’m not one who measures when I cook, so use your own best judgment.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Whole grain wrap
Organic whole grain flour
Organic romaine lettuce (or whatever greenery you have)
What to do:
- Thinly slice the eggplant and brush a little olive oil on both sides. Season with salt, pepper, basil and garlic powder.
- In a hot skillet brown the eggplant until it’s nice and crisp on the outside while remaining soft on the inside. You don’t want an eggplant chip, nor do you want mushy eggplant. If you’re having a difficult time in getting the outside crunchy, sprinkle a little organic flour on the eggplant before putting it in the pan.
- If the eggplant is burning too quickly, lower your heat and add a drip or two of extra virgin olive oil.
- While the eggplant is cooking, thinly slice the tomato and a few slivers of onion (more if you like a lot of onion). Season the tomato with olive oil, salt pepper, garlic and basil. Let it sit until the eggplant is done. Put a little extra olive oil because the seasoned oil tastes great drizzled on the sandwich.
- Once everything is done all you have to do is combine the ingredients.
- Place the wrap on a plate; add a layer of lettuce, then eggplant, then the tomato onion mixture. Sprinkle feta cheese and drizzle some of the seasoned oil over the sandwich before you roll it up.
Depending on the size of the eggplant and tomato, you can make several sandwiches. They’re healthy, delicious and much less expensive than buying a pound of cold cuts.
Give it a try.
A couple of variations:
Add sautéed tofu, salmon, or chicken. The possibilities are endless (use your imagination)